HOW TO MAKE VIETNAMESE CRAB & ASPARAGUS SOUP – súp măng tây cua – HEALTHY VIETNAMESE SOUP RECIPE
in this video, I will show you how to make Súp Măng Tây Cua – Vietnamese Crab & Asparagus soup. This is a healthy seafood soup that is both lite and delicious. This soup is mostly served on special holiday get together as a starter dish.
It is similar to the chinese fish maw soup. Thick in broth texture from the starch, with egg whites mixture. Here are the ingredients and instructions:
– 3-4 lbs chicken bones (for stock) or 5 cans of chicken stock soup 🐓
– 3 onions 🧅
– 1 small ginger root
– 2 tbls salt
– 4 – 5 oz rock sugar
– 1 pk green asparagus
– 2 cans peeled white asparagus
– 2 cans vegetable stock
– 1 tbls chicken granulated seasoning
– fish sauce or squid fish sauce
– 2 cans crab meat
– 3 cans quail eggs
– 8-10 eggs (I use egg whites only but you can use whole eggs if you want)
– tapioca starch or cornstarch for thickening (amount varies depending on your desired thickness) I use 1 whole bag (1lb) for 25 qrt pot and still not enough 😂
– green onions and cilantro for garnish
– (optional) lobsters and clams
1) make chicken broth from chicken bones
– add chicken bones to pot with water.
– boil with onions and ginger root.
– add salt and rock candy sugar.
– 45 min – 1 hr
– discard bones and onions (filter out to get clear broth)
– you can use chicken broth in can of this process is too much work. But adjust flavoring accordingly because the cans are already salty.
– for every can you use, add same amount of water to dilute concentrate.
2) if you are using lobster and clams
– in separate pot, blanch the lobster first with 1 tlbs of salt. Don’t cook all the way through. You will use the meat on side and add in when ready to serve. If cook al the way through, you won’t get the bouncy sweet texture.
– use same pot to cook the clams till they open. (Be sure to clean and soak clams in water with red chili and garlic for at least a few hours. This will get them to spit out the sand.)
– add filter water through to add to chicken broth pot. This will give an extra seafood flavor broth.
3) add vegetable broth to pot
4) use water to mix starch for thickening
– 2 part starch with 1 part water. Make sure there are no lumps.
– as broth is boiling, pour in starch mixture and stir the same time.
– keep adding until your broth has a thick consistency. Better to be a bit thicker since you will be adding other ingredients in that will water it down a bit more.
5) cut green asparagus into bite size pieces.
– blanch green asparagus (30-40 sec) in boiling water with salt and a couple pinch of baking soda (this will help keep the asparagus stay a green color) rinse in cold water to stop cooking process
– strain and let dry
– cut can white asparagus in bite size pieces
– strain and let dry
6) scramble egg whites (or whole egg)
– don’t over scramble it will make the egg puff to top
– slowly add egg to boiling pot … stir continuously while adding egg steadily.
7) add add in all ingredient to broth (except lobsters and clams)
8)taste and add chicken granulate and fish sauce/squid fish sauce according to your taste.
9) add chopped lobster meat and clams to bottom of bowl. Add soup on top & garnish with onions, cilantro and black pepper.
Enjoy cooking! 🙂